by clicking the arrows at the side of the page, or by using the toolbar.
by clicking anywhere on the page.
by dragging the page around when zoomed in.
by clicking anywhere on the page when zoomed in.
web sites or send emails by clicking on hyperlinks.
Email this page to a friend
Search this issue
Index - jump to page or section
Archive - view past issues
Memento : Issue 27
Canadian-born, Boston-trained architect John Horbury Hunt arrived in Sydney in 1863, and over the next 40 years became renowned for the distinctive and radical architecture he introduced to Sydney and surrounding New South Wales. Although he attracted an influential and wealthy clientele, receiving commissions for cathedrals, churches, schools, an art gallery, a department store, houses and homesteads, he died in poverty in 1904. The landmarks he left behind include the Chapel of the Sacred Heart at Rose Bay, boasting a stone vaulted roof -- the first of its kind in Australia. Hunt's buildings have a dramatic presence because of their siting, asymmetrical balance, and impressive brickwork and craftmanship. He was at the forefront of the worldwide movement where every brick and board was placed for structural purpose, not ornamentation. Somewhat eccentric, Hunt had his bicycle fitted with a collapsible drawing board, carried drawing instruments in special pockets in his clothes and drawing paper in a compartment in his hat, should a detailed drawing be needed on the spot. Sadly, Hunt is largely forgotten, but many of his buildings survive to remind us of his extraordinary talent. From the Historic Houses Trust of NSW, the exhibition Radical Architect: John Horbury Hunt 1838--1904 celebrates the life and work of this complex and controversial character. The exhibition is on show at our Canberra gallery until 31 October. Radical architecture on display Kirkham (now Camelot), at Narellan was built for James White, one of Hunt's most influential patrons. Private collection. 4 MEMENTO News from the National Archives